Tuesday, March 5, 2013

1957 Beauty Ads

You might remember an age ago me talking about collecting vintage catalogs (and now also magazines) for work research. I love pouring through the different styles from different decades, and figured you guys might as well! So I'm slowly starting to scan in bits of the collection.

 One of the latest bits of dusty old paper to come into my hands is a vintage hair stylists magazine from 1957, Pretty much everything is of course black and white, except for a few choice ads. I love the bright pops of colors with the monochrome illustrations, as well as all those delicious typefaces! Have to admit, I feel especially bad for the chick with crocodile hand.

 


5 comments:

  1. I love retro beauty ads, thanks for posting this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love how different the copy was back then, and the illustrations always make me smile :)

      Delete
  2. I love getting to go through your catalogs! I bet you have so many now... These ads totally remind me of an old advertisement that was on YouTube for a face cream. A face cream so awesome that they could spread irradiated junk on this ladies face and remove it all... So crazy! I really hope it was a hoax. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember seeing that one! I kinda figured it was real but hoped for the poor girls sake it wasn't, makes you shudder just thinking about it.

      Delete
  3. There is an neat flickr album Nostalgia Rules with some lovely vintage silhouettes and styles that I thought you might enjoy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37575670@N08/with/4578669052/

    ReplyDelete

 

Based on layout and code by Lena