Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Quaintrelle Jelly and Ice Cream

The road to reworking great retro desserts starts with a single step! As much as I L.O.V.E Love Jello, I was looking for greater variety and flavor in my wobbly desserts. Today I did a brief experiment to see if I could use some of the syrups from my soda bar to create some original flavor gelatin desserts...


Originally I was going to try some flashy little bite sized treats, but it looked so good in my new Fishs Eddy bowl that I decided getting it to set was a feat in itself, and I went with the English childhood classic, Jelly & Ice Cream! (that's Jello and ice cream to my American chums). Every one here thinks it's weird but I swear it's great!


Lychee and Elderflower Jelly and Ice Cream


Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup Lychee syrup
  • 1/4 cup Elderflower syrup
  • 1/2cup Water
  • 1 Envelope Knox plain gelatin
Method:
  • Sprinkle gelatin over 4tbs water in a small sauce pan and leave for about 5min
  • Heat water in larger saucepan to make a water bath, float the smaller pan of gelatin in the water bath and heat gently till gelatin is fully dissolved. Shake occasionally but do not stir to avoid bubbles.
  • Once gelatin is dissolved mix in your syrups along with 1/2 a cup of water and stir gently to combine.
  • Pour mixture into a bowl or mold.
  • Serve along with a scoop of your favorite ice-cream (or in this case frozen custard )
  • Feel like a fancy kid.
I'm still refining everything but this should hopefully be tasty step in the right direction to a few real corkers of desserts!

2 comments:

  1. Where do you buy lychee syrup, or did you make your own? I've been looking for it for a while to flavor drinks, but without any luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got mine from Monin http://www.moninstore.com/

    ReplyDelete

 

Based on layout and code by Lena