Monday, June 20, 2011

Quaintrelle Jello Shots (no booze)

Building on the success of the last "Jello" experiment, I finally went and made my "Quaintrelle jello shots" over the weekend. The flavor? Milk tea of course! To cement the "shot" aspect this time around I made them as individual tiny servings set up in little vintage demitasse!

So if you have a few tiny cups you've been wondering what to do with, this recipe is for you!!

Mini Set Teas (makes about 5 mini teas or 2 regular sized ones)

Ingredients:

1 cup boiling water
3 Black tea bags
3Tbs Sweetened condensed milk
1 Envelope Knox Gelatin



Method:

  • Brew your 3 tea bags for approx 5 min (or to flavor) in 1 cup of boiling water (ideally in a glass measuring jug or easy pourable vessel) .
  • Mix in the 3Tbs of condensed milk into the brewed tea.
  • Sprinkle gelatin over 4tbs water in a small sauce pan and leave for about 5min
  • Heat water in larger saucepan to make a water bath, float the smaller pan of gelatin in the water bath and heat gently till gelatin is fully dissolved. Shake occasionally but do not stir to avoid bubbles.
  • Once gelatin is dissolved add to you milky tea mixture and stir gently to combine.
  • Pour mixture into each demitasse
  • Chill for 3 hours to set.
These make a wonderful little amuse-bouche  for a more satisfying dessert I recommend setting the Jello in a large teacup with a wide bowl and topping with a rich vanilla Ice-cream or frozen custard. These first "shots" were made with good old regular black tea, but other wonderful flavors included rooibos, earl grey and chai.

I hope you'll give it a shot at your next tea party!

5 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I used to be able to buy a japanese "milky tea" hard candy, it was so good. I bet these are very similar! Must try....although I know I'll have to eat it all by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those Japanese "milky tea" candies too! It does taste a little similar to that, kinda like a mix between those and Thai ice tea maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing this. I don't drink so the "no booze" jello shot are right up my alley. This milk tea version looks quite refreshing and I love the beautiful tea cups you used to set and serve them in<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous and wonderful sounding! I will most definitely be adding this to my 'must make asap' list. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smashing idea. That sounds so good right now. I really need to play around with jell-o more.

    ReplyDelete

 

Based on layout and code by Lena